According to Cutler’s history, “The first school house in the township was built of logs, in 1833, and stood at the edge of the woods on the south line of section 35.” As late as the 1950’s seven one-room schools under county supervision provided elementary education in the township. They were consolidated into three schools in 1953 – Lake Section, Johnny Cake, and Hopkins. The new Lake District, building, now Norton School on A.L. Jones Road, was opened in 1956. The last classes of the one-room schools graduated in May of 1956. The three consolidated elementary schools became part of the Three Rivers Community Schools in 1966.