Beginning with Nottawa in 1830, additional townships were established by taking territory from the original three. Constantine Township was established in 1831 and Colon in 1833. That same year the land of present day Fabius and Lockport townships was broken off and called Buck’s Township, after an early settler named George Buck. Buck, a veteran of the War of 1812, operated Buck’s Tavern in what is now Three Rivers, was a platter of the village of St. Joseph (now part of Three Rivers), a principal in the Lockport Canal Construction Company, and an early banker. The first election in Bucks Township was held in the spring of 1833 at the home of Hiram Harwood on Johnny Cake prairie.
Additional Townships Established Admin 2013-04-10T13:36:31+00:00